Hello, my name is Anna. This blog is about all the beautiful islands around the world.

167 hornos island

This card has travelled from very very far away, from Cape Horn in the southern tip of Chile. As you can see, it was not sent from the island, but "posted at high sea" onboard the Selma Expeditions ship.

It was sent by mr Bruno Salcewicz, whose dream was to see Cape Horn. Some time ago I came across his crowdfunding project and I decided to contribute a small sum, and got this card in return. :) The island is best known for being the location of the already named Cape Horn - the southernmost part of the Tierra del Fuego archipelago and place where the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans collide. Hornos island is often considered South America's southernmost island, but there are islands located even further south - the Diego Ramírez Islands.

There's a Chilean Navy station on the island, with a couple of buildings including a chapel and a lighthouse, and a memorial, with a sculpture of an albatross, in honour of the sailors who died while attempting to "round the Horn".

source: http://www.caphorniers.cl

hornos island

country
Chile
location
at the southern tip of South America
inhabitants
at the Chilean Navy station
postcard sent
distance travelled
~14,150km
sent from
posted at sea, near Cape Horn

source: Daniela Goulart
source: Wikimedia

3 comments

  1. This is a wonderful postcard. The view, and the stamp: "posted at high sea", wow!
    I'm glad when you resume the blog. These postcards made me dream, as I wrote more than once :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy to hear that <3! Right now I can't travel anywhere, so for me it's also a great way to dream a bit, and plan some future adventures. :)

      Delete
  2. Your trip must have been a memorable one. The era of writing post cards is no more. But its a tradition when you are on a trip which should be kept alive.

    ReplyDelete

Followers

My big dream is to receive postcards sent from every island in the world (at least those that have a postbox). If you would like to help me, please contact me at letters.from.islands@gmail.com.

Follow on Facebook. Follow on bloglovin’. Follow on blogger. Follow on flickr. Posts feed.