Hello, my name is Anna. This blog is about all the beautiful islands around the world.

44 föhr

We've already seen a card from a West Frisian island - Texel, and now I'd like to introduce one of the North Frisian Islands, German island Föhr, located in the North Sea.

I have also shown you a card from a former island (Walcheren), and this time it's the opposite case - Föhr used to be a part of mainland, until the flooding in 1362, called Grote Mandrenke (Great Drowning of Men) caused by an Atlantic gale. As many other islands, Föhr has its own dialect - Fering (although of course German is also widely spoken), and even its own anthem, called Leew Eilun Feer (Beloved Isle of Föhr).

I got this card from Laura, who lives on Föhr, and I must admit that it's one of the coolest cards I've received. The picture in front shows you peaceful sandy dunes, but in the back Laura attached many more photos! I am actually quite surprised that they all survived the journey undamaged.

The small photo by the stamps shows the ferry (1) going to the mainland and Amrum island, the beach chairs on Föhr (3), which protect you from the wind, and in the back of the photo, there's also the island of Langeneß (2).

On the attached photos there are also people hiking in "Watt" - the "mudflats", during the periods of low water. You can actually walk between islands Amrum and Föhr on those mud paths, and as I've read here in an article about the island, "you might even pass at a sand bank full with seals"! Thanks so much Laura for sending this great card! :)

On the attached photos there are also people hiking in "Watt" - the "mudflats", during the periods of low water. You can actually walk between islands Amrum and Föhr on those mud paths, and as I've read here in an article about the island, "you might even pass at a sand bank full with seals"! Thanks so much Laura for sending this great card! :)

föhr

country
Germany
location
in the North Sea
inhabitants
8,592
biggest town
Wyk auf Föhr
postcard sent
postcard received
distance travelled
~1085km
sent from
Wyk auf Föhr

source: Tom Dey
source: Tom Dey

1 comments

  1. It was a good idea, to attach the pictures! Me too, I'm surprised that they arrived safe and sound. Sometimes mail seems magic... ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Followers

My big dream is to receive postcards sent from every island in the world (at least those that have a postbox). If you would like to help me, please contact me at letters.from.islands@gmail.com.

Follow on Facebook. Follow on bloglovin’. Follow on blogger. Follow on flickr. Posts feed.